Monday, September 6, 1993

Continuing Saga of Blackjack Davey

As me and the Mrs. Get ready to send Mandy and Melissa back to school, (can you believe lil’ Mandy is all ready to start the third grade!?) I am reminded that some of our finest citizens are former food service employees from Iowa.

Seriously, the summer flew by so fast! Where did the time go? I don’t know if any of you have heard but there is a new show on at 10:35 PM that is worth catching. It’s called "Real Stories of the Highway Patrol." We get to follow the fuzz, as they perform their ever-entertaining duties. Last week, we got to see them bust a woman who had a few ounces of cocaine on her person. As the camera leered at her, we got to hear of how the man she was living and sleeping with gave her the dope, but she hardly knew him, therefore she shouldn’t go to jail. She didn’t, as our heroes let her go with a mere warning. Riveting. The mixture of reality with TV didn’t confuse me too much. TV like most modern conveniences makes things more clear.

Speaking of modern conveniences, it occurred to me I’ve come full circle. When I began at Cheapo many, years ago, it used to be a running gag between me and my co-workers, about my discomfort in answering the phone. A member of our company’s hall of fame, former Cheapo East Manager Brian Haws, used to spend hours mocking my resistance to that part of my job description. But I did have a legitimate reason for my phone phobia.

So now it’s a bit ironic that I spend my workday answering the phone for a living(?). Among the thousands of faceless callers, I’ve had the pleasure to meet a handful of people (the most interesting encounter happened right here at Landfill, where I met Steve from the Department of Revenue; he didn’t know I knew it was him, but it was quite obvious from his voice and personality). This past week I finally met PG, a long time caller and one nifty person to boot.

Mixing reality and fiction, finally being able to put a person, a face behind the voice was a disjointing. It was like finding out that TV’s Richard Anderson, Oscar Goldman on the "Six Million Dollar Man" is the voice of either Beavis or Butthead.

Do the voices I hear all day long in my head mean I’m insane? No. Is my job? Good question.

Another phone call. I’m in the process of a major personal purchase, a personal computer. Knowing little of what I should be looking for, I ordered a specific piece of equipment only to find the company I ordered it from installed inferior hardware. So the question is, were they trying to rip me off or did they make an honest mistake? Wouldn’t it be good customer service on their part to alleviate that question by offering me something in return for their mistake? It’s an inconvenience at worst, a distraction at best. But eventually it will make our newsletter, "Bigger, Better, Faster…"!

Special thanks to Scott for offering me tickets to go see that feisty, festering rivalry between our fighting Twins and those ever intense Indians. Instead of enjoying those festivities, I endured another night of softball where I accomplished the nearly impossible – grounding into two double plays! Woo!

No comments: