Monday, May 17, 1993

Cheers

As summer approaches, there is so much to do and so little time to get it done. Ah life is so enriching and full…

This week is a big one for TV watchers. There is the much-hyped mini-series "Wild Palms," which should be worth a peek. Several shows air their "Finales" this week. Among them are "Beverly Hills 90210" and "Cheers". It’s graduation time for the kids in California; what does the future hold in store? I can’t wait to see.

My personal favorite episode of "Cheers" was way back in the opening season when Coach’s daughter brought in her fiancée’, Roy, for her father to meet. He was a slug and even the usually confused Coach could see that. It was a heartwarming episode. ("Your mother got more beautiful every day she liver…") My all time favorite scene was the first season’s finale, when Sam and Diane finally got together. "Do you know what it’s like to be attracted to someone that makes you sick?"

I haven’t really watched the show for the past five years, but its departure leaves a hole, which will be hard to fill. Its predecessor, "Taxi" was a much better than the successor show, "Wings".

HOUSEHOLD HINT: An empty vacuum cleaner bag improves the vacuum cleaner’s ability to suck.

For a mere one thousand dollars a person can attend Paul McCartney’s sound check at the Dome. The money is going to Paul’s Liverpool School of Music. Why Paul can’t use his own vast resources for funding might be a question you would ask at the soundcheck (part of the price includes the pleasure of meeting Paul). Unfortunately, we don’t quite have enough in the newsletter budget to send the editor to cover this major story.

*****
A couple of weeks ago, Mark shared a story about a man who went around and painted money, which he used in lieu of real currency. Yesterday at Landfill a man who is a lawyer, told me if I could find a copy of Bonnie Tyler’s "It’s a Heartache" he would give me one free consultation. Are my legal troubles that obvious? And would you trust a lawyer who listens to Bonnie Tyler?

*****
A recurring nightmare I used to have as a child was finding a dinosaur egg in our backyard and ensuing events led to the creatures coming back to take over the Earth. Now this summer, two movies are playing on these very fears, "Carnosaur" and Steven Spielberg’s "Jurassic Park". It just goes to show me my life is too much like the plot of "Benny and Joon". I’ll be hiding indoors if you need me.

No comments: