Monday, April 26, 1993

Best of St. Paul

And now a word from Chairman Mao: "In this world, things are complicated and are decided by many factors. We should look at problems from different aspects, not from just one."

I'm not into this dream thing much. It's probably more accurate to describe my nightly thought processes as "nightmarish." But since a new regular feature is sharing our dreams with one and other (something not to be done lightly), could someone please explain the doozy I had last week?

I was holding a large press conference. I was George McGovern. The press was hounding me, bedlam was all around. Everyone wanted me to declare my intentions for the 1996 Presidential race. Nostalgia of '72 hung heavy everywhere. The questions turned to begging, people pleading me to run. I finally had enough and said, "l'm too old." At that point I woke up. George McGovern?

The Best of St. Paul
Best Potholes: Lexinqton Avenue between University and Larpenteur. It’s unbelievable. I bet downtown Beirut has better streets.

Best Fast Food Acoustics (drive thru division): McDonalds on Snelling across from Har Mar. It must be digital technology. The voice asking if you want fries is crystal clear.

Best Organization of Harlequin Novels: Landfill Records. They're alphabetized by "author".

Most cheerful phone caller: Patti G., Dun and Bradstreet.

Best Politically incorrect sign: "Please smoke" found in Jonathon and Robert Fielding &Co., a tobacco store.

Best place to walk a cat: Fernwood Avenue.

As we go to press, the big Ella Fitzgerald gala is being held at our St. Paul Applause. Wish I was there. I'm not a huge Ella fan; her arrangements over the years don't appeal much to me. But the lady can sing. My favorite performance? Her interpretation of the Gershwin's "Soon". "When I'm with you this world will be in tune, let" make that day come soon." The way her voice caresses the word "soon" is sublime. Happy birthday Ella.

I caught my first episode of "Beverly Hills 90210" last week. Now I know what the kids are talking about. I'm hooked. Great looking cast, complex social commentary, and effective music add up to a collage that's a feast for the senses!

The number of contributions (not counting this week) is on the rise and I appreciate that very much. It makes my job easier, and the newsletter better. I do have one request from those contributing: please attach your name. If you don't want credit we won't print your name, but there have been some contributions I had questions about, and I didn't know who to talk to. Keep up the good work.

No comments: