Monday, May 27, 1996

Zen for Cats

This Memorial Day we cast our minds back to the days when we were the original Hootie, and we were courting the original Uma, under the stars, sipping on coffee and working a crossword puzzle together. We never quite did figure out all the answers, but we tried our best nonetheless. Hootie, Uma... Uma, Hootie...

Things continue to go along smoothly here at newsletter central. I burned my tongue on a steaming bowl of soup last week, thus all the meals since then have not been as pleasurable as they might have been. We got the garden started out back, putting to use the services of our Japanese gardener (that'd be me). The little fellow planted tomatoes, cucumbers, beans and peas. All the while Max the Cat spent his time leashed to the laundry pole, grazing on grass (which he urped up the next day).

Last Saturday as I sat sippin on my newest crutch, Thai coffee, diligently proofing the first edition of the newsletter, the Civil Defense sirens sounded at 1:30 a.m. Not knowing a storm was expected, I of course just assumed we were under nuclear attack. Thank goodness I turned on the TV to see Dave Dahl dressed in a tuxedo screaming to take cover because "gust-nadoes" were on the way. Max didn't seem too concerned so I figured his sense of the weather was certainly keener than any human's, and thus I went to bed.

The big news of the week however was my Thursday night's softball team, Joan's Jets', stunning 25-24 come from behind victory. Trailing at one point 19-2, we steadily chipped away until we were within reach, and by that point the momentum of the game was all on our side. I know none of you were at that game (you are certainly welcome to come and watch), few people were, but it was such a stirring win that I'm sure years from now thousands will claim they witnessed the event. Sports are nothing if not a metaphor for life. To see a team get so far behind, but still not give up and ultimately triumph, was an inspiration for us all.

The win raised my record as a coach to 2-1; certainly impressive for a team that has never been above .500 before. My play in the field was a bit lackluster however- blame it on the notion I may have been a bit distracted by the spunky chatter of our second baseperson, Mary (talkin about Murphy the Dog, cough cough). But the game was a model of the benefits of team work. All of us contributed. All of us picked each other up after a mistake was made. We were all pulling for each other. And when Jamie delivered a ground ball after Stuart was intentionally walked to load the bases and create a force out situation at all bases, I raced home and beat a high throw to produce the winning run. All bedlam broke loose. It was a great moment for a team that worked ever so hard. (Psssst- For whom it may concern: If you provide all of us with Cheapo hats and Cheapo T-shirts, we'll proudly do some advertising at our games.)

On related note, have all of you heard Joan Jett's cover version of the Mary Tyler Moore Show's theme song? I love it. Love it very much. Ongaku wa suteki desu (the music is excellent). Normally I'm not a big fan of novelty type songs but somehow this one rings true to its singer. Jett makes it her own, somehow managing to make the song a personal anthem while keeping her tongue planted firmly in cheek and paying tribute to the original version. It sounds much like any other Joan Jett song yet still maintains the plucky charm of the TV version. The picture of Mary exuberantly tossing her hat up in the air comes strongly to mind everytime I hear the song.

Of course hearing it made me remember the chapter of Robert Duncan's book, The Noise, a portion of which we printed on page two of this week's newsletter. Mary is a rock and roll hero. Love is all around. Congratulations all...

No comments: