Monday, June 6, 1994

With a Love as Big as a Starship- Ode to My Car

One last Star Trek memory, if I may be so bold: On the original series there was an episode, I think it was the "spore" one, where the crew all fell under the influence of an illegal plant substance that made everyone feel euphoric and removed friction from life.; where Kirk stood alone on the bridge of the Enterprise and we learned that his intimate love was not for a woman, but that his woman was his ship.

I always used to get a chuckle from that because it seemed to explain to me a lot of Kirk's neuroses. Well, what I learned this week was never to discount anything- someday what you used to laugh at and make fun of, is no longer funny, and begins to make a hell of a lot of sense.

This past week I traded in the car I've had for the past six years for a brand spanking new, used, but unbelievably shiny and impressive car. As I was cleaning out the now obsolete vehicle, a tear came to my eye. The old girl and I had been through a lot together; traveled to a lot of places; saw a lot of special moments with a lot of special people by our side (or inside as the case may be)- everyone from SJL through NJK and everyone in between: my favorite mother of two; SuperMom; Alex; Peppermint Patti; Max; Spunky...

The car was the last link between all the places I've been to and all the people I've traveled with in the last few years. Now it feels like an end of an era, if six years can claim to be considered an era. As I walked away for the last time, I felt like a trader, abandoning the old girl for a new flashy model. It was the last remnants of a difficult but never forgotten period of my life.

Hopefully the new car will get me half as far as this last one. I'm sure we'll have our memories to share. After all, I did learn to like the new Enterprise just as much as the old one after I got used to it. When this car's wheels spin under me for the final time, I hope enough ground will have passed where my heart will feel wistful once again.

No comments: