Monday, October 26, 1992

90/90 Hindsight

Don't get me wrong; I like Bergman films as much as the next person (as long as the next person isn't a member of the Swedish Bikini Team) but the growing obsession with symbolism is giving me a headache.

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about the furor caused by Sinead O'Connor in comparison with the behavior of the Atlanta Braves baseball fans. The point I was trying to make but made in a sloppy, inarticulate way was the mistake of placing toom uch importance on "symbols" versus being sensitive to the belief of others. THis pas week yet another incident involving a symbol caused a minor uproar.

In Atlanta, before the first game of the World Series, members of the U.S. Marine corps marched out the Candadian flag to present during the traditional singing of "O Canada." Problem was the flag was displayed upside down. The Canadians were displeased. Some even thought the incident was intentional. The anger that followed proved America isn't alone in being overly concerned with the trivial. Silliness knows no boundaries and I guess that is why we fight wars. It wouldn't take much to document the United States' offenisve behavior toward both Canada and Mexico, economically, politically, and in general attitude, but I doubt any ranking official ordered the Marines to demonstrate a lack of respect for the people of Canada. No one ever accused members of the Marines of being too bright for their own good. There are more important things to get riled up over.

We live in a time where nothing means what it means. There are hidden subliminal messaged in everything that is said, written, or done. What does Madonna's new book mean? Is it a symbol of growing sexual freedom in American society or a statement against it? Is the symbolic attitude of Hollywood undermining our traditional "family values?" We can't seem to take anyting at its face value anymore. Pooh to that...

Since I only work in a retail atmosphere two days a week, I'm not exposed to the new sounds, bands that most of the rest of you are, so it is quite an event when I hear something new that I like. A couple of weeks back, "Shakespeare's Sister" appeared on Late Night with David Letterman. It was the best thing I've heard since that Stevie Nicks, Tom Petty duet all those years ago. Their preseentation was grand and fun in the spirit of the best opera (which of course is Paul McCartney's "Liverpool Oratorio"); outrageous dress, glitter and absurd singing and dancing including a soaring female soprano. I bought the CD last week (despite the group's rather pretentious name) and was more than pleased with my purchase. Who knew that former Bananramer, Siohban Fahey was the singer? Can you say the words "heaven" and "nirvana"? The song "I Don't Care" is wonderful. "Walking through the rooms in my head. I came across your image..." "Whenever I fall I land on my feet." References to Cupid, cats, and sex- the major themes of all good rock and roll songs.

So a woman walks up to me in Landfill and says, "Do you have any Animals records?" And I being the musical genius I am says, "We probably don't have any of their records but I know "The House of the Rising Sun" is included on several compilations. You might want to look there..."

"I have a few records with dolphin songs on it," she says as I realize her definition of "animals" is much different than mine.


"You guys got the time?'
"Yeah, they're in the 'T's or with Morris Day."

David's Haiku
Applause and Cheapo (five syllables)
sell much music to people (seven syllables)
in the Twin cities (five syllables)

Why I Like My Job
This past week Secretary of State Joan Anderson Growe asked your friendly neighborhood state employee how he liked his job. "I'm beginning to dislike it immensely," the lil guy replied.

I've been with the state about two years now, and have worked at Cheapo on and off for five eyars. Both jobs deal with a lot of contact with the public. The major difference I see is there isn't a lot of satisfaction in helping the people of Minnesota. I deal with a lot of customers, but even the ones I can help, it doesn't seem to do much good. A lot of the people I try to help have a hostile attitude towards governmental bureaucracy, which in itself is understandable, but being rude to those who didn't set up the system isn't going to accomplish much. In retail on the other hand, we deal with customers who want something we ware all interested in: music. At Landfill yesterday a gentleman asked me my opinion (minimal as it is) about a particular record. We got into a nice conversation about our lives and music and we both left the encounter all the better for the experience and the sharing of opinion. Much as I know retial work can be frustrating, there are moments when it is fun and worth the time. So take the time like David and appreciate the job you are in (or at least one of them).

No comments: