Monday, August 23, 2004

Why Everybody Thinks You're Looking Out for the Other Guy

In the day I play an elections official and this isn't exactly the profession one might necessarily choose this year if given all the options.

In a seemingly close presidential election year there have been numerous accounts in the media about security concerns with voting equipment. There also have been stories about the possible, and we can't go there again, return to the historic practices in this country of disenfranchising groups of voters with unfair administrative procedures- procedures that place a burden on some but not all, making it difficult for some to vote.

I thought I had heard it all when I picked up my phone upon arriving at work Wednesday morning and I got cussed at by a guy in Norway who wasn't happy I wasn't going to allow his son to vote because his son happened to not meet the requirements to receive a ballot from me. Things have gotten so bad that now I'm even disenfranchising Norwegians.

And quite frankly I'm tired of it all.

I'm tired of people who don't let others off an elevator before they attempt to get on.

I'm tired of driver's who don't signal their turns.

I'm tired of cats clawing my furniture to shreds.

I'm tired of slow internet connections and receiving multitudes of spam.

I'm tired of those who don't listen to others because of a person's gender.

I'm tired of people who don't listen.

I'm tired of selfishness.

I'm tired of people who don't respect the Minnesota Twins.

I'm tired of living in a football town.

I'm tired of indifferent customer service.

I'm tired of not having time to read a newspaper let alone a book.

I'm tired of growing tiny tomatoes.

I'm tired of not being able to find my DVD copy of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I'm tired of lacking a poet in my life.

I'm tired of longing for the former poet in my life.

I'm tired of wishing Lester Bangs was still alive and writing.

I'm tired of waiting for the last season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer to come out on DVD so I can complete my collection.

I'm tired of mowing my lawn.

I'm tired of high gas prices.

I'm tired of owning too much coinage and not enough paper money.

I'm tired of listening to my portable car CD player on scratchy speakers.

I'm tired of waking up in the dark and feeling like I remain there all day long.

I'm tired of not being able to sleep at night.

I'm tired of feeling tired.

I'm not tired of gazing into her eternal heart softening soothing blue blue eyes despite an occasional skunk eye or two.

No comments: