Monday, May 4, 1998

Sooner or Later

Welcome to the world Eon Trainor. While I don't suppose it's entirely accurate to call you the first Cheapo baby, that you are the first child born to two Cheapo employees is reason enough for a company-wide celebration (whoop-de-doo).

As you see things for the first time you no doubt will be full of questions. This world is nothing if not a confusing place. But you should have some peace of mind knowing you are in good hands. I don't know your mother and father all that well yet what I do know is enough to be confident that they will make better than average parents. Still, even with the best parents in the world (and I think I could go to any court of law in the land and personally stake that claim) you will make your mistakes here and there and face your share of troubles. But you'll be OK in the end as long as you stay rooted in the values you are taught.

Let me give you an example of what I'm talking about. Last Monday I was looking forward to going to the Twins game with my good friend. I got a call at 6:30 in the morning from this friend who told me because of a family problem she wouldn't be able to go with me. I was disappointed but I realized that family does come first (no matter how good the seats, which were great- just to the right of home plate staring straight down the third base line about twenty rows up). The family problem turned out to be some unspecified trouble her older daughter had gotten herself into. Being the self professed parenting expert I am (having successfully raised the most neurotic cat this side of the Mississippi) I immediately was there to give my advice and opinions.

My friend and her husband have worked hard at being excellent parents. I admire them both for the care and discipline they exude with their two daughters. And it shows- both kids have turned out to be really good people. Thus I know my friend and her family will be able to work their way through this latest crisis not only because both parents have demonstrated superior parenting skills but also because the kid is alright. Whether or not she can admit it, she someday will come to appreciate the strong foundation her parents provided from day one. Along the way, she'll learn relationships are built on trust which is a two way street. But with trust comes responsibility which ultimately depends solely on each of us individually. It's easier to find someone to give you their word than it is to find someone that will keep it.

And some days will be harder than others Eon. Just when you think you have things figured out to some sort of degree, life is always more than willing to throw you a curve, place an obstacle in your path. My new passion this spring is my garden. I have already spent nights turning over the dirt, clearing the leftover stuff from last fall, and digging up the weeds, some of which established quite the root system. All the while pictures of peonies and hyacinth run through my head. Starting in one corner and finishing up that spot only to look at how much is still left to do is discouraging work.

But the end result is an impressive sized rectangular black dirt plot ready for any plant I deem suitable. Getting down on your hands and knees and getting that fresh dirt underneath your fingernails has a certain raw appeal, and the end result of all the work is well worth it. There is something refreshing and redemptive about the renewal process of gardening. I slept well that night and even had a dream of my garden. In my dream I was out planting some seeds, and digging up more weeds with my hands. The sun was bright and blissful. Suddenly one of the roots grabbed a hold of me and tried to pull me under. I woke up startled at the sudden turn of events. I tried to decipher some deeper meaning: my roots were some type of burden; hard work can still lead to disastrous results; my garden represented some type of grave I was digging for myself... None of it seemed to fit although in the darkness it all made some sense. When I talked to my dream interpreter the next day she said it was probably caused by watching one too many episodes of Lost in Space when I was a kid. She said that show caused the same nightmares for her. She unburied the memories of those episodes when a strange planet's plants would grab one of the Robinsons. Another dream we shared independent of each other.

So Eon, sometimes you don't have to dig so deep to find answers, they can be right in front of you. And often it's even hard to tell what is a weed and what isn't. The distinction isn't important the perception is. Though you'll hopefully find people willing to help out, the most wonderful thing of all is the experience you gain learning these lessons by yourself. It can be life's greatest reward.

No comments: