Monday, October 17, 1994

Language of an INFP

The good news of the week was I took a personality test, and I passed. It may not appear to be so, but I DO HAVE ONE!


The test was part of the mandatory Supervisory Core training all state supervisors are required to take. We took the Briggs-Myers test which breaks your personality into four categories: Extrovert or Introvert; Sensory or Intuitive; Thinker or Feeler; and Judging or Perceiving.


Basically the way the Briggs-Myers can be a useful tool in management is to understand that each personality type has different "languages." To communicate effectively with one's employees, one has to understand the differences in the languages we all speak.


For example, to reward one employee might be as simple as a praiseworthy statement. Another employee might need something more visual like a plaque or a certificate; still others need added responsibility in their assignments to feel appreciated.


As an Introverted, Intuitive, Feeler, Perceiver, I'm described:


"INFP's value inner harmony above all else. Sensitive, idealistic, and loyal, they have a strong sense of honor concerning their personal values and are often motivated by deep personal belief or by devotion to a cause they feel is worthy.


"INFPs tend to be reserved, being selective about sharing their most deeply held values and feelings. They value relationships based on depth, authenticity, true connection and mutual growth. Others usually see INFPs as introspective and complex, original and individual.


"It is natural for INFPs to give less attention to their non-preferred thinking and sensing parts. If they neglect these too much, however, they may become easily discouraged about the contrast between their ideals and accomplishments; withdraw from people and situations; and not give enough information to others, especially about important values."


So who, you ask, is your average State of Minnesota supervisor? At this particular training class there were 13 women 9 men (eight if you count me), 21 white people and one minority.


Only 4% of the American population are classified as INFPs yet seven of the twenty two in this class fell into that particular category. What does this mean? That your STATE is occupied by a bunch of shy, faithful, illogical sponges? Probably not. I certainly wasn't typical of others in the class (as if I ever am), and others in the class weren't exactly on the same page as those I work next to day to day.


When we first started discussing the results of our tests, I was skeptical (another feature of the INFP). Yet, there was something comforting in having your personality dissected and put in a box. Things stack easily when they're put in a box. It's more cleanly. The summary of my personality type was remarkably on the mark, almost eerily so. Almost made me believe in science. It's a safety net to have your strengths and weakness', how you might react in a given situation, written down in black and white. Better someone else explain who I am than myself. The danger of course is basing decisions on personality types; to discount the individuality of people and the uniqueness of day to day events. Categorizing and labeling lead to responses that are based on external observations. Prejudice is a negative vibe whether scientifically observed or not.


Thus I thought it was important that the emphasis was placed on telling us that there is no right way to be a supervisor, that each of us had to use our own style to succeed. Not too long ago, I decided if I was going to fail at my job, the best way to go out was to fail on my own terms, to screw up in my own fashion. If I was going to wind up back on the street, let me know I did it being true to myself. Since that time I have enjoyed my job more and one of my employees made it a point the other day to tell me that I've been easier to work with. You can't be something you are not. You can try but it takes a lot of work and wastes a lot of energy. Even a great monolith like the state can see the importance of knowing who you are.


Who am I? As stated previously, one of an INFP's weakness' is pulling back and not giving enough information to others. I'll try to remedy that with the following statement of clarification:


As YOUR newsletter editor, let it be known not only am I a proud INFP, but let the record also show that I am a Japanese American, cat owning, sore necked, blood clot fearing, stereotyped caricature of himself, whose imagination has been eroded by his memories, fond of Jodie Foster and Liz Phair loving baseball fan, who does his laundry on Fridays. All of which I'm sure you knew already.

No comments: