Monday, March 15, 1993

The Other Me

I just had an elderly couple purchase $48.00 in Green Tags. They planned to haul them home on a bus but found the four back grocery bags too cumbersome. So I called them a cab.

To me it was a bit depressing to see someone spend that much on Green Tag records (can anyone possibly have a need for that many scratched/moldy records?) But I guess if we put a smile on just one person's face, if we make this world a better place for just one person, it is worth it. Do I hear employee of the month?

I wasn't going to say anything but now that it was brought up, I feel I have to respond. When Joel was born, our family had fallen upon hard times. It was a difficult decision, but we placed our youngest sibling into a wicker basket and set him afloat down the Nile-all the time praying his would be a fruitful existence.

Which brings to mind another painful memory. It was during my audition for the TV game show, "Cardsharks" (this is true). One of the NBC pageslooked at my application and said, "I know a David Maeda back in Hawaii." It was like being doused in the face with a shoe of ice water; finding out I'm not even an original, just some sort of facsimile, just another face in the crowd,

No comments: