Monday, September 15, 1997

Arigato Gozai Masu

Just flew in from Japan and boy are my arms tired... We had a most outstanding and inspiring time. We saw a beautiful country and met some impressive Japanese people. But more on all that next week. Thanks for asking me along, Al. I didn't want to come back although it is nice to be home and to see my little buddy Mr. Maximoto again.

Also thanks to Mary for doing such a great job with last week's issue of the newsletter. You did a terrific job and this publication has never looked better.

Going Going Gone
by Bob Dylan

I've just reached a place
where the willow don't bend.
There's not much more to be said
It's the top of the end.
I'm going, I'm going, I'm gone.
I'm closin' the book
on the pages and the text.
And I don't really care
what happens next.

I'm going, I'm going, I'm gone.

I been hangin' on threads,
I been playin' it straight,
Now I've just got to cut loose
before it gets late.

So I'm going, I'm going, I'm gone.

Grandma said, 'Boy, go and follow your heart and you'll be fine at the end of the line.
All that's gold isn't meant to shine.
Don't you and your one true love ever part.'
I been walkin' the road,
I been livin' on the edge,
Now, I've just got to go
before I get to the ledge.

I'm going, I'm just going, I'm gone.

I too share in the sadness of the news that we are losing Mark Lethert. Memories from ten years back are a bit tangled within the ever thickening fog and cobwebs of my mind but nonetheless I do remember the shifts we worked together and how I always enjoyed working with Mark and learning from him. I, of course was not always this calm, polished professional I now appear to be and back in those days my moods were a bit turbulent. Working with Mark was always fun and he taught me a lot about dealing with human nature. It was remarkable how after working with Mark I would leave the store in a better mood than when I arrived. He was fun to work with, had impeccable taste in music and a joy to watch deal with customers.

Mark represents the best of Cheapo, professionalism with a sense of humor, vast knowledge, a keen creative mind and the desire to always do the best job possible. And on top of all the outstanding work he has done for this company he is one heck of a fine fellow too. His knowledge of music, film and literature always impressed and was greatly appreciated by me. His wicked sense of humor, wisdom and calm disposition was inspiring.

For the last few years my contact with Mark has been as a customer at the St. Paul stores and it was always great to walk into the store and see him working and sharing a laugh and watching him work with so much skill. It's great being on the other side of the counter and being the recipient of such a skilled customer service representative. Finally, Mark's contributions to the newsletter have been wonderful and I always looked forward to reading his submissions. He made my job easier and the newsletter better. Thank you Mark.

Best of luck to you, I know you'll do well with all your new ventures and adventures. Cheapo has lost a great person. Please keep in touch. Sayo-nara and thanks for the friendship.

No comments: